ISO 16010:2005 specifies requirements for elastomeric materials used in seals for supply pipes and fittings, ancillaries and valves at operating temperatures in general from -5 °C up to 50 °C and in special cases from -15 °C up to 50 °C, for the following:
a) general applications:
- gaseous fuel [manufactured, natural and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) in the gaseous phase],
- hydrocarbon fluids with an aromatic content up to 30 % (by volume), including LPG in the liquid phase;
b) special applications:
- materials suitable for carrying gaseous fuels containing gas condensates and hydrocarbon fluids of unrestricted aromatic content.
General requirements for finished joint seals are also given.
This International Standard is applicable to joint seals for all pipeline materials, including iron, steel, copper and plastics.
It is not applicable to the following:
- seals made from cellular materials;
- seals with enclosed voids as part of their design;
- seals required to be resistant to flame or to thermal stress;
- seals which contain splices joining pre-vulcanized profile ends.