ISO 10303-42:2003 specifies the resource constructs for the explicit geometric and topological representation of the shape of a product. The scope is determined by the requirements for the explicit representation of an ideal product model; tolerances and implicit forms of representation in terms of features are out of scope. The geometry in clause 4 and the topology in clause 5 are available for use independently and are also extensively used by the various forms of geometric shape model in clause 6.
In addition, ISO 10303-42:2003 specifies specialisations of the concepts of representation where the elements of representation are geometric.
The following are within the scope of the geometry schema:
- definition of points, vectors, parametric curves and parametric surfaces;
- definition of finite volumes with internal parametrisation;
- definition of transformation operators;
- points defined directly by their coordinate values or in terms of the parameters of an existing curve or surface;
- definition of conic curves and elementary surfaces;
- definition of curves defined on a parametric surface;
- definition of general parametric spline curves, surfaces and volumes;
- definition of point, curve and surface replicas;
- definition of offset curves and surfaces;
- definition of intersection curves.
The following are outside the scope of ISO 10303-42:2003:
- all other forms of procedurally defined curves and surfaces;
- curves and surfaces which do not have a parametric form of representation;
- any form of explicit representation of a ruled surface.
NOTE For a ruled surface the geometry is critically dependent upon the parametrisation of the boundary curves and the method of associating pairs of points on the two curves. A ruled surface with B-spline boundary curves can however be exactly represented by the B-spline surface entity.
Status: WithdrawnPublication date: 2003-04
Edition: 4Number of pages: 328
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 184/SC 4 Industrial data
- ICS :
- 25.040.40 Industrial process measurement and control
ISO 10303-42:2000/Cor 1:2001
ISO 10303-42:2003Stage: 95.99
Corrigenda / AmendmentsWithdrawn
ISO 10303-42:2003/Cor 1:2007
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.